I am a curriculum junkie. There’s no shame to my game ;)
I wrote a post about homeschooling for free a long while ago. Some links are now outdated so I’ll be revisiting and reposting these resources over the next few days.
Today, early reading… because my youngest, Peep, has turned 4 and has officially joined the student body.
- Starfall – the first level of this programme was good for letter recognition and sounds, but oh my goodness… the crazy and corny songs! Peep sang “Va-va-va-va-VAN… Va-va-va-va- VAN…” for DAYS. You best be warned.
- Progressive Phonics – very simple, straight forward programme… and very effective too! There are also free writing worksheets.
- Word Mastery – a course in phonics for the first three grades
- Reading Bear
- Blend Phonics:
- Alphabet Flash Cards
- Blend Phonics Pre-Primer
- Reading Made Easy With Blend Phonics
- Blend Phonics Reader – to be used after a unit is taught in Reading Made Easy With Blend Phonics
- Blend Phonics Decodable Storybooks
- Stairway to Reading
- Teach the World to Read – Not free now but at $49 for some 60 booklets + guides, it’s a steal. The site offers the programme for free to children in under-privileged communities.
- Reading A to Z – They had an open house and made their books free once upon a time. I don’t think I will be welcome at any other open houses they will have in future.