Ms M loves all things Australian so we have decided to revisit the Land Down Under. Here are some of the things we have done/are doing.
Books & Stories
- Animal Myths & Legends – of course we don’t believe in these but it was interesting to see how others think.
- Australia The Gift by Steve Parish – superb photographs by one of Australia’s best-known photographers who has spent much of his life journeying around the country.
- Australian Mammals Sticker Picture Book by Steve Parish â€“ a gift from my sisterâ€¦ Ms M had fun with this!
- DK Readers: Outback Adventure – Australian Holiday by Kate McCleod – a nice book about a family seeing the sites in Broome, a remote place in the Australian outback.
- Kangaroos & Marsupials by Lionel Bender â€“ a very informative and yet easy-to-understand book about the different marsupials. Very good photos!
- Koala Kate Talks Ablout Koalas by Denise Burt â€“ a little book we found at the second-hand bookstoreâ€¦ all about the life and habits of the koala told from the point of view of a koala! Delightful photographs.
- Koala Lou by Mem Fox â€“ sweet tale about a koala who feels sidestepped with the arrival of siblings and longs for her motherâ€™s reassurance by trying to win a medal in the Bush Olympics. Listen to Mem Fox reciting it here.
- Longman’s Inquizitive books: Bushfire – describes how bushfires occur, the damage it can do as well as how the fire can help the bush and animals that live in it.
- Longman’s Inquizitive books: The Desert Gallery – interesting books about the amazing plants and animals that survive in the harsh Australian desert.
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder – yes, I know it is set in the USA but we drew parallels between the Native Americans and the Aborigines.
- Miss Lilyâ€™s Fabulous Pink Feather Boa by Margaret Wild & Kerry Argent â€“ Ms M cried when we first read this! A lonely potoroo, who feels she must eb the last of her kind, meets a lively and kind crocodile, Miss Lily (she has â€œa very small appetiteâ€ and only eats fish). The Last Potoroo is enthralled by her host and her feather boa which made her feel as if â€œshe could do anything â€“ and everything!â€ With the help of Miss Lily, the potoroo learns about courage and honesty and goes forth to seek others of her kind. She returns to repay Miss Lilyâ€™s love with a surprise!
- People & Animals: Work & Leisure by Barry Silkstone â€“ about the relationship between man and animals, with a focus on those in Australia.
- Possum Magic by Mem Fox â€“ about Hush and Grandma Poss who gallivant Australia to undo the bush magic spell that made Hush invisible. A good intro to the different Oz cities and food. We didnâ€™t feel comfy with magic so we called it Bush science/chemistry *LOL* and Hobartâ€™s casinos were changed to hotels.
- Stories from Australia
- The Magic School Bus Chapter Book: Expedition Down Under
Aussie Geography – Overview
- About Australia – by Pocantico Hills School
- Australian Flag printout
- Australia Interactive Map
- A to Z Kids’ Stuff
- Enchanted Learning’s page on Australia
- National Geographic on Australia
- Outline Map of Australia
- Picture Australia
- Photos of Australia
- Aboriginal Art and Aboriginal Culture Centre – with gallery, info on didgeridoos and dreamtime
- Aboriginal Fine Arts Gallery
- Aboriginal Rock Art
- Australian Aboriginal Art Online
- Australian Aborigines
- Indigenous Australia
- Australia Government’s page on Uluru
- Crystal Links on Uluru – has more info on Australia on its index page
- ABC TV’s Our Animals
- Animal Postcards & Stories – cute!
- Australian Fauna
- Australian Koala Foundation
- Billy Bear For Kids – The Koala
- Chris’ Joey Haven
- Enchanted Learning’s Page on Australian Animals
- Fred’s Chook Page – listen to the kookaburra
- Kangaroo Theme Page
- Kids’ Planet – Kangaroo Fact Sheet
- Kids’ Planet – Koala Fact Sheet
- Koala Movie – see and listen to a koala
- Laughing Kookabura photos with sounds
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
- Marsupial Mania!
Art & Crafts and Other Fun Activities
- Aboriginal Art
- Aussie Recipes from Mem Fox – an accompaniment to Possum Magic
- Australia Colouring Page
- Australia for Kids
- Australia Jigsaws
- Australian animals colouring sheet
- Clip Art
- Colour the flag
- Didgeridoos – make your own!
- Echidna Craft
- Ettamogah Wildlife Sanctuary’s Kids’ Site
- K is for Kangaroo
- Kangaroo Craft
- Koala Craft
- Koala Colouring Page
- Kookaburra in a Tree
- National Geographic Colouring Book: Kangaroos
- National Geographic Colouring Book: Koalas
- Platypus Craft
- Sydney Opera House – a template from Paper Toys!
- Who’ll come a ‘Waltzing Matilda’ with me? – about Australiaâ€™s best known and much loved national song
More Great Links!
- Herberton State School (P-10), Far North Queensland, Australia
- Jerrie Cheek’s Australia Hotlist Page
- Lesson Plan/Ideas on Australia
- Project by Class 3/4D of Eleanora Heights Primary School
- ProTeacher on Australia
- SurfNetKids on Australia
- Time For Kids
- Zoom School