Ms M loves all things Australian so we have decided to revisit the Land Down Under. Here are some of the things we have done/are doing.
Books & Stories
- Animal Myths & Legends – of course we don’t believe in these but it was interesting to see how others think.
- Australia The Gift by Steve Parish – superb photographs by one of Australia’s best-known photographers who has spent much of his life journeying around the country.
- Australian Mammals Sticker Picture Book by Steve Parish â€“ a gift from my sisterâ€¦ Ms M had fun with this!
- DK Readers: Outback Adventure – Australian Holiday by Kate McCleod – a nice book about a family seeing the sites in Broome, a remote place in the Australian outback.
- Kangaroos & Marsupials by Lionel Bender â€“ a very informative and yet easy-to-understand book about the different marsupials. Very good photos!
- Koala Kate Talks Ablout Koalas by Denise Burt â€“ a little book we found at the second-hand bookstoreâ€¦ all about the life and habits of the koala told from the point of view of a koala! Delightful photographs.
- Koala Lou by Mem Fox â€“ sweet tale about a koala who feels sidestepped with the arrival of siblings and longs for her motherâ€™s reassurance by trying to win a medal in the Bush Olympics. Listen to Mem Fox reciting it here.
- Longman’s Inquizitive books: Bushfire – describes how bushfires occur, the damage it can do as well as how the fire can help the bush and animals that live in it.
- Longman’s Inquizitive books: The Desert Gallery – interesting books about the amazing plants and animals that survive in the harsh Australian desert.
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder – yes, I know it is set in the USA but we drew parallels between the Native Americans and the Aborigines.
- Miss Lilyâ€™s Fabulous Pink Feather Boa by Margaret Wild & Kerry Argent â€“ Ms M cried when we first read this! A lonely potoroo, who feels she must eb the last of her kind, meets a lively and kind crocodile, Miss Lily (she has â€œa very small appetiteâ€ and only eats fish). The Last Potoroo is enthralled by her host and her feather boa which made her feel as if â€œshe could do anything â€“ and everything!â€ With the help of Miss Lily, the potoroo learns about courage and honesty and goes forth to seek others of her kind. She returns to repay Miss Lilyâ€™s love with a surprise!
- People & Animals: Work & Leisure by Barry Silkstone â€“ about the relationship between man and animals, with a focus on those in Australia.
- Possum Magic by Mem Fox â€“ about Hush and Grandma Poss who gallivant Australia to undo the bush magic spell that made Hush invisible. A good intro to the different Oz cities and food. We didnâ€™t feel comfy with magic so we called it Bush science/chemistry *LOL* and Hobartâ€™s casinos were changed to hotels.
- Stories from Australia
- The Magic School Bus Chapter Book: Expedition Down Under
Aussie Geography – Overview
- About Australia – by Pocantico Hills School
- Australian Flag printout
- Australia Interactive Map
- A to Z Kids’ Stuff
- Enchanted Learning’s page on Australia
- National Geographic on Australia
- Outline Map of Australia
- Picture Australia
- Photos of Australia
- Aboriginal Art and Aboriginal Culture Centre – with gallery, info on didgeridoos and dreamtime
- Aboriginal Fine Arts Gallery
- Aboriginal Rock Art
- Australian Aboriginal Art Online
- Australian Aborigines
- Indigenous Australia
- Australia Government’s page on Uluru
- Crystal Links on Uluru – has more info on Australia on its index page
- ABC TV’s Our Animals
- Animal Postcards & Stories – cute!
- Australian Fauna
- Australian Koala Foundation
- Billy Bear For Kids – The Koala
- Chris’ Joey Haven
- Enchanted Learning’s Page on Australian Animals
- Fred’s Chook Page – listen to the kookaburra
- Kangaroo Theme Page
- Kids’ Planet – Kangaroo Fact Sheet
- Kids’ Planet – Koala Fact Sheet
- Koala Movie – see and listen to a koala
- Laughing Kookabura photos with sounds
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
- Marsupial Mania!
Art & Crafts and Other Fun Activities
- Aboriginal Art
- Aussie Recipes from Mem Fox – an accompaniment to Possum Magic
- Australia Colouring Page
- Australia for Kids
- Australia Jigsaws
- Australian animals colouring sheet
- Clip Art
- Colour the flag
- Didgeridoos – make your own!
- Echidna Craft
- Ettamogah Wildlife Sanctuary’s Kids’ Site
- K is for Kangaroo
- Kangaroo Craft
- Koala Craft
- Koala Colouring Page
- Kookaburra in a Tree
- National Geographic Colouring Book: Kangaroos
- National Geographic Colouring Book: Koalas
- Platypus Craft
- Sydney Opera House – a template from Paper Toys!
- Who’ll come a ‘Waltzing Matilda’ with me? – about Australiaâ€™s best known and much loved national song
More Great Links!
- Herberton State School (P-10), Far North Queensland, Australia
- Jerrie Cheek’s Australia Hotlist Page
- Lesson Plan/Ideas on Australia
- Project by Class 3/4D of Eleanora Heights Primary School
- ProTeacher on Australia
- SurfNetKids on Australia
- Time For Kids
- Zoom School
Masha Allah wonderful links to study Down Under. Insha Allah it will inspire us to learn more about Australia. I might link this on my Home Education if you don’t mind. May Allah bless you and your family. Jazak Allahu Khairan.
Aboriginal Art in Australia, There are so many regions and art varies so much, it can never have one heading. I lived 20 years in Arnhemland where I learnt a great deal about accepting art as stories of life. Different artists tell the same story in there own way. Aboriginal art today is evolving faster than ever before. Debra Mason