We did this impromptu lesson some time ago and I thought that some of you might enjoy these links with your kids.
During one of our book hunts, Marz and I found “Eskimo Boy: Life in an Inupiaq Eskimo Village” by Russ Kendall. It tells of seven-year-old Norman Kokeok, an Inupiaq Eskimo who lives in the village of Shishmaref on Sarichef Island, in the Chukchi Sea, just north of Bering Strait (off the northwest coast of Alaska). Illustrated with large color photographs, this book describes the life of modern-day Eskimos and Alaska. It also includes a glossary of Inupiaq words.
We have read this book so many times that Marz wants to meet Norman – I tell her that he must be about 19 years old by now!
The book talks about the beautiful Northern Lights and so we did a short lesson on it. Here are some links you may enjoy:
- Auroras: Mysterious Lights In The Sky – clearly my daughter’s fave!
- Auroras – Ghostly Earth-Sun Link
- Auroras – Paintings In The Sky. What Makes Them Happen?
- Nordly’s – Northen Lights
- Everything Alaska’s Aurora Borealis Page – Everything Alaska also has colouring pages, beautiful photographs of Alaskan wilderness and more!
- AuroraWebCam.Com – The Northern Lights international project from Alaska
(Image of the aurora in Alaska from Pexels)
Just throught I’d point out that the first link gives an error. I think you may have added a linebreak tag before the hyperlink.
wa `alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!
Jazakillah khayran! It’s fixed now!
Ms Muffett would absolutely LOVE “March of the Penguins” There is a short scene with the Aurora but gosh what a wonderful sight. We were glued to the screen for the entire movie – the documentary is just superb.
Tasmiya! YES!! I checked out the documentary’s details after reading YOUR BLOG!! I am really dying to watch it – we tried getting the VCD/DVD but it isn’t out yet.
excellent pages and wonderful is what What Allah created,
they are really nice,
jazak allahu khayran for keeping them in here.